It may be hard to imagine today, but for much of the 20th century, Macallan was primarily a constituent malt in blends. It was not until the 1980s downturn in the market that the distillery decided to focus on its single malt brand. Fortuitously, this coincided with the crest of a wave of enthusiasm for the high quality releases that the distillery had licensed to Campbell, Hope & King and Gordon & MacPhail in the 1960s and 1970s. These remain some of the most collectible on the market. While global single malt sales volume is still lead by Speyside neighbours, Glenfiddich and Glenlivet, Macallan is easily the most sought after. So much so in fact, that they had to open a brand new distillery in 2018, a subterranean architectural masterpiece within the Easter Elchies estate, boasting 36 copper pot stills.
This is the complete set of the Edition series which came to an end in Autumn 2020.
- Macallan Edition No.1 - A Taiwan and American exclusive, this is the first 'Edition' release which has been matured in 58% Butts, 23% Hogsheads and 19% Puncheons. 48%
- Macallan Edition No.2 - The second release is a collaboration between Bob Dalgarno and the Roca Brothers who run the world famous El Celler De Can Roca Restaurant in Catalonia, Spain. 48.2%
- Macallan Edition No.3 - Released in 2017, this third edition has been created in conjunction with Roja Dove, a highly respected 'nose' in the perfume industry. No. 3 is a blend of 3 types of cask bottled at 48.3%
- Macallan Edition No.4 - The 2018 release was intended to celebrate the design and craftsmanship involved in the new Macallan distillery which opened that year. Packaged in green to evoke the turf covered roof of the spectacular new site. 48.4%
- Macallan Edition No.5 - Released in 2019, Edition No.5 was a collaboration with the Pantone Color Intitute and celebrated the natural colour of Macallan. 48.5%
- Macallan Edition No.6 - The final edition takes inspiration from the landscape around the distillery. The liquid has been matured exclusively in sherry-seasoned casks - a select combination of first and second fill American and European Oak. 48.6%