In 1826 the exuberant and extroverted James Allardice, along with a consortium of local farmers, founded the distillery and began producing his "Guid GlenDronach" single malt. Unfortunately Allardice's marketing strategy of offering free drams to Edinburgh's "ladies of night", coupled with a fire at the distillery in 1837, led to him declaring bankruptcy.
Thankfully however, the story doesn't end there...
The distillery was rebuilt by Walter Scott in 1852, and although it has changed hands several times over the years (and was even mothballed between 1996 and 2000), it continues today; a firm favourite of Sherry Heads everywhere.
Note small marks on tube